Last Friday, President Trump signed a spending package that includes a short-term continuing resolution (CR) extending the EB-5 Regional Center Program for 10 weeks at the $500,000 investment amount through December 7, 2018.
The spending bill included a full-year appropriation for the departments of Defense, Education, Health and Human Services, and Labor. The CR provides funding at the FY18 level to agencies that have not received a regular appropriation which includes the EB-5 Regional Center Program.
This means that we have the same EB-5 Program for the next 10 weeks. After December 7th, there are slight, but unlikely, possibilities that USCIS will step in and pass new regulations during this 10-week period or that Congress will pass new regulations.
What is certain, however, is that EB-5 is available to you and your family for the next 10 weeks. Investors who wish to pursue EB-5 at the $500,000 investment amount are advised not to wait until December 2018 to file.
Current and prospective EB-5 investors can remain confident in the EB-5 Investor Program, as it continues to be a viable option for high net worth individuals seeking to obtain a green card quickly, as compared to other visa categories such as the H1-B and L1 visas.
The EB-5 Program offers the following advantages:
- One Investment: Investors, their spouses, and children under 21 years of age can all receive U.S. green cards by funding a single project with a single investment.
- Education: Green card holders may attend U.S. schools and universities at the same cost as U.S. citizens.
- Flexibility: Live, work, and retire anywhere in the U.S., and travel easily to other countries.
- Healthcare: Gain access to the same high-quality healthcare available to U.S. citizens.
- Passive Investment: Third parties manage your investment and all aspects of the project.
- No Language Requirement: Proficiency in English is not necessary to participate in the EB-5 program.
With recent initiatives of reform resulting only in continuous short-term extensions, EB-5 needs a sustainable solution. We remain a proactive advocate for the EB-5 Program and remain expectant that potential legislative actions by Congress reflect the fact that the EB-5 program generates billions of dollars in capital investment and supports hundreds of thousands of U.S. jobs.
If you have any more questions on the topic or would like to learn more about our EB-5 program overall please email us at email@example.com.